IA Welcome About Us

About Us

E-mail Print PDF

The Belize Department of Archaeology has grown from one member in 1957 to 19 office staff & 50 Park Managers and Rangers present day.  In August of 2003, the National Institute of Culture and History, a statutory body was officially enacted; the department was renamed and became known as the Institute of Archaeology (IA).  The IA is one of Belize’s oldest research and education institution on Culture of Belize.  Through our units, Research, Education, Park Management, Planning, Policy & Marketing, we effectually manage all archaeological and cultural resources in the country.

 

Featured Site


caracol_01.jpg
  Caracol “Snail" (25,000 acres) Located on the western edge of the Maya Mountains within the Chiquibul Forest Reserve, Caracol lies on a high More...